Some rappers bend over backwards to give the people what they want, trying to be everything to everyone (and succeeding only once in a great while). Jay Rock, on the other hand, could care less whether or not you appreciate his gritty, street-oriented brand of hip-hop—The Hood Gone Love It and, as far as he’s concerned, that’s all that really matters. As you might expect, then, the Los Angeles repper’s latest album leak is one whose appeal will vary in direct proportion to your proximity to the block. Over J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League‘s appropriately street-anthemic production, a swirling blend of string samples and slow-rolling percussion, the freestyle series alum provides an object lesson in “keepin’ it G” on the front and back. It’s guest emcee Kendrick Lamar, however, who steals the show, lacing the middle with vivid descriptions of inner-city ambiance “The public house, the plastic couch of a Section 8 tenant / The regal window is tinted, the air conditioner’s broke, but I’m cool enough to ensure you my ride is an Eskimo.” So, Booth readers, are you hood enough to fully appreciate this jam? If so, you’re part of the target audience for Jay Rock’s debut set,Follow Me Home, due out July 28.
Written by richard on 06/22/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.