Some rappers bend over backwards to give the people what they want, trying to be everything to everyone (and succeeding only once in a great while). Jay Rock, on the other hand, could care less whether or not you appreciate his gritty, street-oriented brand of hip-hop—The Hood Gone Love It and, as far as he’s concerned, that’s all that really matters. As you might expect, then, the Los Angeles repper’s latest album leak is one whose appeal will vary in direct proportion to your proximity to the block. Over J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League‘s appropriately street-anthemic production, a swirling blend of string samples and slow-rolling percussion, the freestyle series alum provides an object lesson in “keepin’ it G” on the front and back. It’s guest emcee Kendrick Lamar, however, who steals the show, lacing the middle with vivid descriptions of inner-city ambiance “The public house, the plastic couch of a Section 8 tenant / The regal window is tinted, the air conditioner’s broke, but I’m cool enough to ensure you my ride is an Eskimo.” So, Booth readers, are you hood enough to fully appreciate this jam? If so, you’re part of the target audience for Jay Rock’s debut set,Follow Me Home, due out July 28.
Written by richard on 06/22/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)