If you experience a little déjà vu during the opening bars of this record, don’t worry—you probably have heard it before. Originally featured in January ‘08 as California Soul, the cut met with a lukewarm reception from Booth readers. Apparently, Jay Rock and the Top Dawg Ent./Warner Bros brass decided that it was ever-so-slightly ahead of its time, as a newly remixed and remastered version, now known as Follow Me Home, has been chosen as his forthcoming LP’s latest official single (and title track). Besides the redone intro and extended outro, the changes are fairly subtle—Jay Rock’s verses, as well as Game‘s guest contribution, remain intact—but the tweaked sound may make all the difference; TDE‘s funky, 5th Dimension-sampling instrumental, which (in my opinion) didn’t get the attention it deserved the first time around, seems to come through clearer and hit harder here. Is it enough to make the record a hit? You decide. Jay’s debut studio album has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/15/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.