If you experience a little déjà vu during the opening bars of this record, don’t worry—you probably have heard it before. Originally featured in January ‘08 as California Soul, the cut met with a lukewarm reception from Booth readers. Apparently, Jay Rock and the Top Dawg Ent./Warner Bros brass decided that it was ever-so-slightly ahead of its time, as a newly remixed and remastered version, now known as Follow Me Home, has been chosen as his forthcoming LP’s latest official single (and title track). Besides the redone intro and extended outro, the changes are fairly subtle—Jay Rock’s verses, as well as Game‘s guest contribution, remain intact—but the tweaked sound may make all the difference; TDE‘s funky, 5th Dimension-sampling instrumental, which (in my opinion) didn’t get the attention it deserved the first time around, seems to come through clearer and hit harder here. Is it enough to make the record a hit? You decide. Jay’s debut studio album has yet to receive a solid release date.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.