If you experience a little déjà vu during the opening bars of this record, don’t worry—you probably have heard it before. Originally featured in January ‘08 as California Soul, the cut met with a lukewarm reception from Booth readers. Apparently, Jay Rock and the Top Dawg Ent./Warner Bros brass decided that it was ever-so-slightly ahead of its time, as a newly remixed and remastered version, now known as Follow Me Home, has been chosen as his forthcoming LP’s latest official single (and title track). Besides the redone intro and extended outro, the changes are fairly subtle—Jay Rock’s verses, as well as Game‘s guest contribution, remain intact—but the tweaked sound may make all the difference; TDE‘s funky, 5th Dimension-sampling instrumental, which (in my opinion) didn’t get the attention it deserved the first time around, seems to come through clearer and hit harder here. Is it enough to make the record a hit? You decide. Jay’s debut studio album has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/15/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.