If you experience a little déjà vu during the opening bars of this record, don’t worry—you probably have heard it before. Originally featured in January ‘08 as California Soul, the cut met with a lukewarm reception from Booth readers. Apparently, Jay Rock and the Top Dawg Ent./Warner Bros brass decided that it was ever-so-slightly ahead of its time, as a newly remixed and remastered version, now known as Follow Me Home, has been chosen as his forthcoming LP’s latest official single (and title track). Besides the redone intro and extended outro, the changes are fairly subtle—Jay Rock’s verses, as well as Game‘s guest contribution, remain intact—but the tweaked sound may make all the difference; TDE‘s funky, 5th Dimension-sampling instrumental, which (in my opinion) didn’t get the attention it deserved the first time around, seems to come through clearer and hit harder here. Is it enough to make the record a hit? You decide. Jay’s debut studio album has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/15/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.