If you experience a little déjà vu during the opening bars of this record, don’t worry—you probably have heard it before. Originally featured in January ‘08 as California Soul, the cut met with a lukewarm reception from Booth readers. Apparently, Jay Rock and the Top Dawg Ent./Warner Bros brass decided that it was ever-so-slightly ahead of its time, as a newly remixed and remastered version, now known as Follow Me Home, has been chosen as his forthcoming LP’s latest official single (and title track). Besides the redone intro and extended outro, the changes are fairly subtle—Jay Rock’s verses, as well as Game‘s guest contribution, remain intact—but the tweaked sound may make all the difference; TDE‘s funky, 5th Dimension-sampling instrumental, which (in my opinion) didn’t get the attention it deserved the first time around, seems to come through clearer and hit harder here. Is it enough to make the record a hit? You decide. Jay’s debut studio album has yet to receive a solid release date.
Written by richard on 03/15/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.