When you’re signed to a major label and your album’s in development hell, you can bet that, on top of it all, the project will be plagued by leaks (just ask Lil Wayne, Keri Hilson, and Rico Love). Such has been the case for Jay Rock, whose debut album, Follow Me Now, has yet to receive a release date from the Warner Bros. brass. In response to the leak of June Summers collabo Day One Girl, the Inglewood native recently released the track’s official version to the ‘net. This cut’s overall vibe can be compared to that of Rocky Fontaine‘s Love Me Baby—with an upbeat, high-energy instrumental and a catchy, title-referencing hook by BJ the Chicago Kid, it has all the makings of a late-summer hit. Day One Girl will undoubtedly get fans hyped for the previously-unreleased material Jay will unveil in the course of his forthcoming 30-day, 30-track series (beginning next Wednesday)—we can only hope it also catches the attention of the label execs.
Written by Burmy on 08/3/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.