When you’re signed to a major label and your album’s in development hell, you can bet that, on top of it all, the project will be plagued by leaks (just ask Lil Wayne, Keri Hilson, and Rico Love). Such has been the case for Jay Rock, whose debut album, Follow Me Now, has yet to receive a release date from the Warner Bros. brass. In response to the leak of June Summers collabo Day One Girl, the Inglewood native recently released the track’s official version to the ‘net. This cut’s overall vibe can be compared to that of Rocky Fontaine‘s Love Me Baby—with an upbeat, high-energy instrumental and a catchy, title-referencing hook by BJ the Chicago Kid, it has all the makings of a late-summer hit. Day One Girl will undoubtedly get fans hyped for the previously-unreleased material Jay will unveil in the course of his forthcoming 30-day, 30-track series (beginning next Wednesday)—we can only hope it also catches the attention of the label execs.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.