In his home city of Watts, up-and-coming rapper Jay Rock was shot during a street dispute. Left for dead, but emerging alive and awake in a hospital bed, Jay reflects on his life, culminating in his discovery that the shooter was someone he considered family. Three months and loads of strenuous rehabilitation later, Jay Rock is right back at the scene of the incident, out to get some much-desired revenge. Giving the track somewhat of a film noir effect, Tyrese (also a Watts-born musician) croons a bluesy hook over producer E.P.‘s jazzy beat, all in hopes of affirming that the streets Respect Me. Those who appreciate tales from the hood and vivid storytelling should be in for a treat, Rock’s debut album Follow Me Home is tentatively set to drop this fall.
Written by Burmy on 04/8/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.