In his home city of Watts, up-and-coming rapper Jay Rock was shot during a street dispute. Left for dead, but emerging alive and awake in a hospital bed, Jay reflects on his life, culminating in his discovery that the shooter was someone he considered family. Three months and loads of strenuous rehabilitation later, Jay Rock is right back at the scene of the incident, out to get some much-desired revenge. Giving the track somewhat of a film noir effect, Tyrese (also a Watts-born musician) croons a bluesy hook over producer E.P.‘s jazzy beat, all in hopes of affirming that the streets Respect Me. Those who appreciate tales from the hood and vivid storytelling should be in for a treat, Rock’s debut album Follow Me Home is tentatively set to drop this fall.
Written by Burmy on 04/8/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.