In his home city of Watts, up-and-coming rapper Jay Rock was shot during a street dispute. Left for dead, but emerging alive and awake in a hospital bed, Jay reflects on his life, culminating in his discovery that the shooter was someone he considered family. Three months and loads of strenuous rehabilitation later, Jay Rock is right back at the scene of the incident, out to get some much-desired revenge. Giving the track somewhat of a film noir effect, Tyrese (also a Watts-born musician) croons a bluesy hook over producer E.P.‘s jazzy beat, all in hopes of affirming that the streets Respect Me. Those who appreciate tales from the hood and vivid storytelling should be in for a treat, Rock’s debut album Follow Me Home is tentatively set to drop this fall.
Written by Burmy on 04/8/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)