Imagine growing up in an environment where everyone around you expects you to fail. Imagine making it to your 21st birthday, only to realize all your best friends are either behind bars or six feet deep. If you grew up in Watts, California, like rapper Jay Rock, the gang and drug infested streets are not imaginary, they are real. Knowing he has come from so far to get to where he is today, Jay Rock’s not about to keep it to himself, “Where I come from man, I’m gonna keep it real: I’m the first young cat outta my projects, to get signed to a major label.” On his new official single, All My Life, Rock hooks up with some cross country friends, Lil’ Wayne and producers Cool & Dre to jointly bring light to a harsh reality.
Written by DJ Z on 02/6/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.