Imagine growing up in an environment where everyone around you expects you to fail. Imagine making it to your 21st birthday, only to realize all your best friends are either behind bars or six feet deep. If you grew up in Watts, California, like rapper Jay Rock, the gang and drug infested streets are not imaginary, they are real. Knowing he has come from so far to get to where he is today, Jay Rock’s not about to keep it to himself, “Where I come from man, I’m gonna keep it real: I’m the first young cat outta my projects, to get signed to a major label.” On his new official single, All My Life, Rock hooks up with some cross country friends, Lil’ Wayne and producers Cool & Dre to jointly bring light to a harsh reality.
Written by DJ Z on 02/6/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.