After watching his debut album, Follow Me Home, collect dust on the label shelves for as long as he has, Jay Rock could be forgiven for feeling a little down. To his credit, though, the Watts, California up-and-comer’s keeping his chin up and “...living for today,” grinding 24/7 to hasten the arrival of his Finest Hour. This leaked track, one of several cuts recorded for a revised version of Jay’s freshman set, finds the headliner showcasing his dedication to the hustle alongside South Florida heavyweight Rick Ross, who brings frequent production collaborators J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League along for the ride. The high-rolling, nose-to-the-grindstone rhymes Rock and the Teflon Don deliver over Rook, Colione and Barto‘s characteristically lush, swanky sampled boardwork, are sure to elicit nods of approval from heads with a taste for motivational street bangers, but will the headliner’s positive attitude be enough to get his CD onto store shelves? As he says on the back end, “Tomorrow is never promised…” For now, we can only keep our fingers crossed.
Written by richard on 03/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.