After watching his debut album, Follow Me Home, collect dust on the label shelves for as long as he has, Jay Rock could be forgiven for feeling a little down. To his credit, though, the Watts, California up-and-comer’s keeping his chin up and “...living for today,” grinding 24/7 to hasten the arrival of his Finest Hour. This leaked track, one of several cuts recorded for a revised version of Jay’s freshman set, finds the headliner showcasing his dedication to the hustle alongside South Florida heavyweight Rick Ross, who brings frequent production collaborators J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League along for the ride. The high-rolling, nose-to-the-grindstone rhymes Rock and the Teflon Don deliver over Rook, Colione and Barto‘s characteristically lush, swanky sampled boardwork, are sure to elicit nods of approval from heads with a taste for motivational street bangers, but will the headliner’s positive attitude be enough to get his CD onto store shelves? As he says on the back end, “Tomorrow is never promised…” For now, we can only keep our fingers crossed.
Written by richard on 03/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.