After watching his debut album, Follow Me Home, collect dust on the label shelves for as long as he has, Jay Rock could be forgiven for feeling a little down. To his credit, though, the Watts, California up-and-comer’s keeping his chin up and “...living for today,” grinding 24/7 to hasten the arrival of his Finest Hour. This leaked track, one of several cuts recorded for a revised version of Jay’s freshman set, finds the headliner showcasing his dedication to the hustle alongside South Florida heavyweight Rick Ross, who brings frequent production collaborators J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League along for the ride. The high-rolling, nose-to-the-grindstone rhymes Rock and the Teflon Don deliver over Rook, Colione and Barto‘s characteristically lush, swanky sampled boardwork, are sure to elicit nods of approval from heads with a taste for motivational street bangers, but will the headliner’s positive attitude be enough to get his CD onto store shelves? As he says on the back end, “Tomorrow is never promised…” For now, we can only keep our fingers crossed.
Written by richard on 03/7/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.