It may be cliché, but it’s true: no matter how bad you’ve got it, there’s somebody out there who’s worse off. Just in time for Thanksgiving, the eternally ‘hood Jay Rock is back with mixtape leak Diary of a Broke N*gga, a joint sure to leave listeners grateful for what they’ve got. Backed by the gritty, sampled boardwork of Crada, the freestyle series alumnus reminds us what true desperation looks like, describing a man pushed past his limit by inner-city poverty: “See the stress on his face. Look in his heart, ain’t no love in the place / What’s on his mind? Murder, money and mayhem…” Lending their vocals to the chorus are not one but two guest artists; while it’s anyone’s guess why Booth-approved up-and-comer (and freestyle alum) Kendrick Lamar was enlisted to assist singer Giddy on the chorus rather than being tapped for a verse of his own, the record as a whole is dope enough to overlook that missed opportunity. If you like what you’re hearing, more is on its way; Black Friday, Jay Rock’s first project since leaving Warner Bros. for Strange Music. is set to hit the ‘net – you guessed it – this Friday, November 26.
Written by richard on 11/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Ludacris ft. Miguel - Good Lovin’
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.