It may be cliché, but it’s true: no matter how bad you’ve got it, there’s somebody out there who’s worse off. Just in time for Thanksgiving, the eternally ‘hood Jay Rock is back with mixtape leak Diary of a Broke N*gga, a joint sure to leave listeners grateful for what they’ve got. Backed by the gritty, sampled boardwork of Crada, the freestyle series alumnus reminds us what true desperation looks like, describing a man pushed past his limit by inner-city poverty: “See the stress on his face. Look in his heart, ain’t no love in the place / What’s on his mind? Murder, money and mayhem…” Lending their vocals to the chorus are not one but two guest artists; while it’s anyone’s guess why Booth-approved up-and-comer (and freestyle alum) Kendrick Lamar was enlisted to assist singer Giddy on the chorus rather than being tapped for a verse of his own, the record as a whole is dope enough to overlook that missed opportunity. If you like what you’re hearing, more is on its way; Black Friday, Jay Rock’s first project since leaving Warner Bros. for Strange Music. is set to hit the ‘net – you guessed it – this Friday, November 26.
Written by richard on 11/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.