It may be cliché, but it’s true: no matter how bad you’ve got it, there’s somebody out there who’s worse off. Just in time for Thanksgiving, the eternally ‘hood Jay Rock is back with mixtape leak Diary of a Broke N*gga, a joint sure to leave listeners grateful for what they’ve got. Backed by the gritty, sampled boardwork of Crada, the freestyle series alumnus reminds us what true desperation looks like, describing a man pushed past his limit by inner-city poverty: “See the stress on his face. Look in his heart, ain’t no love in the place / What’s on his mind? Murder, money and mayhem…” Lending their vocals to the chorus are not one but two guest artists; while it’s anyone’s guess why Booth-approved up-and-comer (and freestyle alum) Kendrick Lamar was enlisted to assist singer Giddy on the chorus rather than being tapped for a verse of his own, the record as a whole is dope enough to overlook that missed opportunity. If you like what you’re hearing, more is on its way; Black Friday, Jay Rock’s first project since leaving Warner Bros. for Strange Music. is set to hit the ‘net – you guessed it – this Friday, November 26.
Written by richard on 11/22/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.