It may be cliché, but it’s true: no matter how bad you’ve got it, there’s somebody out there who’s worse off. Just in time for Thanksgiving, the eternally ‘hood Jay Rock is back with mixtape leak Diary of a Broke N*gga, a joint sure to leave listeners grateful for what they’ve got. Backed by the gritty, sampled boardwork of Crada, the freestyle series alumnus reminds us what true desperation looks like, describing a man pushed past his limit by inner-city poverty: “See the stress on his face. Look in his heart, ain’t no love in the place / What’s on his mind? Murder, money and mayhem…” Lending their vocals to the chorus are not one but two guest artists; while it’s anyone’s guess why Booth-approved up-and-comer (and freestyle alum) Kendrick Lamar was enlisted to assist singer Giddy on the chorus rather than being tapped for a verse of his own, the record as a whole is dope enough to overlook that missed opportunity. If you like what you’re hearing, more is on its way; Black Friday, Jay Rock’s first project since leaving Warner Bros. for Strange Music. is set to hit the ‘net – you guessed it – this Friday, November 26.
Written by richard on 11/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.