It may be cliché, but it’s true: no matter how bad you’ve got it, there’s somebody out there who’s worse off. Just in time for Thanksgiving, the eternally ‘hood Jay Rock is back with mixtape leak Diary of a Broke N*gga, a joint sure to leave listeners grateful for what they’ve got. Backed by the gritty, sampled boardwork of Crada, the freestyle series alumnus reminds us what true desperation looks like, describing a man pushed past his limit by inner-city poverty: “See the stress on his face. Look in his heart, ain’t no love in the place / What’s on his mind? Murder, money and mayhem…” Lending their vocals to the chorus are not one but two guest artists; while it’s anyone’s guess why Booth-approved up-and-comer (and freestyle alum) Kendrick Lamar was enlisted to assist singer Giddy on the chorus rather than being tapped for a verse of his own, the record as a whole is dope enough to overlook that missed opportunity. If you like what you’re hearing, more is on its way; Black Friday, Jay Rock’s first project since leaving Warner Bros. for Strange Music. is set to hit the ‘net – you guessed it – this Friday, November 26.
Written by richard on 11/22/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lift Me Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.