If you’re surfing the ‘net from the U.S. of A., this may be your first encounter with up-and-coming singer Jay-J, but it likely won’t be your last. Having won first place in Belgian talent-search program The Project and subsequently inked a deal with Konvict Muzik, he’s ready to skyrocket to the top of the game – so if you happen to be riding on his back, you’d be wise to Hold on Tight. On this newly-released promo single, the up-and-comer demonstrates exactly why he’s referred to as the “European ‘Justin’” (according to his bio), showcasing a smooth, distinctly J.T.-esque falsetto over the synth-scorching boardwork of co-producers Crystal and Tariq L, the latter of whom also steps up to the mic for a rapped guest verse. ‘Kon adds a dash of star power to the track with some lightly auto-tuned hook vocals, and fellow Konvict signee Ques rounds out the lineup with some hyped-up guest bars. Does Jay-J have the pipes, and the pop appeal to succeed stateside? I’ll let readers have the final say. HoT is out now on iTunes, and fans can check out the official music video here.
Written by richard on 12/3/09
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.