If you’re surfing the ‘net from the U.S. of A., this may be your first encounter with up-and-coming singer Jay-J, but it likely won’t be your last. Having won first place in Belgian talent-search program The Project and subsequently inked a deal with Konvict Muzik, he’s ready to skyrocket to the top of the game – so if you happen to be riding on his back, you’d be wise to Hold on Tight. On this newly-released promo single, the up-and-comer demonstrates exactly why he’s referred to as the “European ‘Justin’” (according to his bio), showcasing a smooth, distinctly J.T.-esque falsetto over the synth-scorching boardwork of co-producers Crystal and Tariq L, the latter of whom also steps up to the mic for a rapped guest verse. ‘Kon adds a dash of star power to the track with some lightly auto-tuned hook vocals, and fellow Konvict signee Ques rounds out the lineup with some hyped-up guest bars. Does Jay-J have the pipes, and the pop appeal to succeed stateside? I’ll let readers have the final say. HoT is out now on iTunes, and fans can check out the official music video here.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.