If you’re surfing the ‘net from the U.S. of A., this may be your first encounter with up-and-coming singer Jay-J, but it likely won’t be your last. Having won first place in Belgian talent-search program The Project and subsequently inked a deal with Konvict Muzik, he’s ready to skyrocket to the top of the game – so if you happen to be riding on his back, you’d be wise to Hold on Tight. On this newly-released promo single, the up-and-comer demonstrates exactly why he’s referred to as the “European ‘Justin’” (according to his bio), showcasing a smooth, distinctly J.T.-esque falsetto over the synth-scorching boardwork of co-producers Crystal and Tariq L, the latter of whom also steps up to the mic for a rapped guest verse. ‘Kon adds a dash of star power to the track with some lightly auto-tuned hook vocals, and fellow Konvict signee Ques rounds out the lineup with some hyped-up guest bars. Does Jay-J have the pipes, and the pop appeal to succeed stateside? I’ll let readers have the final say. HoT is out now on iTunes, and fans can check out the official music video here.
Written by richard on 12/3/09
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.