As those who tuned in for their last feature, the darkly experimental Fame Us, are well aware, Jason James (aka WEB) and Rodney Hazard (aka I.D.E.A.) thrive on defying expectations. Thus, listeners shouldn’t be too surprised to learn that the emcee-producer duo’s latest mixtape leak (a Booth-exclusive world premiere) isn’t exactly what you’d expect from the title; while the word Go carries connotations of speed and action, this cut is more focused on deep contemplation. Hazard’s downtempo instrumental, fueled by synth ambiance and spacey vocal samples, sets the stage for a lyrical examination of hip-hop itself. While some might disagree with the emcee’s initial sizing-up of the game ( “Rap music is f*ckin’ stupid, for me it doesn’t do it – metaphors but no stories, so there’s really nothing to it.”), his passionate mic performance is considerably harder to argue with. Together, will James and Hazard succeed in transforming the currently-gray hip-hop landscape into a Marvelous World of Color? We’ll know for sure on August 11, when their collaborative LP hits our mixtape page for streaming and free download!
Written by richard on 07/28/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love at the Speed of Light (Kolt 13 Remix)" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.