Another election has ended in the good ol’ U-S of A, and regardless of which candidate you were pulling for, I think we’re all sick of the mudslinging, punditry and overall asinine behavior that presidential elections (any election, really) seem to bring. So get into this rousing lyrical movement (and DJBooth world premiere) from Jason James and blow off some steam. Built around producer Rodney Hazard‘s thumping bass, brooding synths and low ambient screeches, James gives us a healthy dose of somber reality to keep us idealists in check. It’s not fully anti-establishment, but it’s far from Grand Old Flag, and just what we need to stay balanced during these electric times. If you dig this, keep an eye out for DJBooth’s release of Jason James and Rodney Hazard’s album of the same name, out now.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view Jason James’ Benjamin Arce-directed This Is My Rifle visuals.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 03/5/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love at the Speed of Light (Kolt 13 Remix)" (2010)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.