This Is My Rifle, the inaugural single release off Jason James and Rodney Hazard‘s new project, was a cold shower of political reality after the steaming sh*tstorm that was the 2012 Presidential campaign. After force-feeding listeners the proverbial “red pill,” the Vancouver rhymesayer would be remiss if he didn’t face up to the comfortable illusions behind his own hustle. On Forgetting How to Dream, the second world premiere off his and his longtime collaborator’s next street album, he does just that, acknowledging that he was once enchanted by fantasies of cash, whips, and getting it in with Rihanna, but ultimately revealing rap superstardom for the Faustian bargain he believes it to be. Hazard provides a moody, atmospheric instrumental for his collaborator’s understated, yet intense bars. Feeling it? More intricate beats and insightful rhymes await on Pyramids in Stereo, set to hit our front page November 28, for streaming and download.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Jason James and Rodney Hazard’s Caio D’Andrea-directed Forgetting How to Dream visual.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love at the Speed of Light (Kolt 13 Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.