It seems that unsigned R&B artists are starting to follow a pattern: submit your best record to DJBooth.net in August, watch the rave reviews roll in, wait a few months, and get signed to Beluga Heights/Warner Bros. Devoted readers will remember that Auburn scored a deal soon after she sent single Eww Eww to this very site in August of ‘07. Now, it’s happened again, only replace the key words with “Jason DeRulo,” “Algebra,” and “‘08.” On his latest single, Jason Derulo admits he’d been letting the fame get to his head and flirting with other women behind his girl’s back. Committed to changing his ways, he asks her, “Whatcha Say about some ‘kiss and make up?’” Label boss J.R. Rotem backs the record with a sample from Imogen Heap’s Hide and Seek, borrowing the phrase that comes just after the snippet that appeared on DJ Wich‘s What We Need. Jason’s upcoming album,
tentatively entitled Future History
which will be self-titled, might not have a release date yet, but, with Rotem’s knack for creating summer anthems, it might arrive sooner than you’d think.
Written by Burmy on 06/3/09
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.