It seems that unsigned R&B artists are starting to follow a pattern: submit your best record to DJBooth.net in August, watch the rave reviews roll in, wait a few months, and get signed to Beluga Heights/Warner Bros. Devoted readers will remember that Auburn scored a deal soon after she sent single Eww Eww to this very site in August of ‘07. Now, it’s happened again, only replace the key words with “Jason DeRulo,” “Algebra,” and “‘08.” On his latest single, Jason Derulo admits he’d been letting the fame get to his head and flirting with other women behind his girl’s back. Committed to changing his ways, he asks her, “Whatcha Say about some ‘kiss and make up?’” Label boss J.R. Rotem backs the record with a sample from Imogen Heap’s Hide and Seek, borrowing the phrase that comes just after the snippet that appeared on DJ Wich‘s What We Need. Jason’s upcoming album,
tentatively entitled Future History
which will be self-titled, might not have a release date yet, but, with Rotem’s knack for creating summer anthems, it might arrive sooner than you’d think.
Written by Burmy on 06/3/09
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.