Damn, a lot can change in a month; though Jason Derulo‘s last single, featured in early August, found him serenading a woman in hopes she’d become his “It Girl,” the arrangement evidently didn’t pan out as he’d hoped, and on his newest promo record the Beluga Heights crooner is singing a decidedly different tune. No longer quite so eager to slap a label on love, the artist suggests to his latest romantic interest: “Why don’t we Make It Up as We Go?” Of course, as he goes on to reveal over Fliptones’ dancefloor-ready synth boardwork, his concern isn’t so much labels per se, but making sure there are: “no strings attached.” Whether or not you find Derulo’s propositions persuasive, you’ve got to admire his commitment to musical method acting; as he explains in this YouTube vlog, his verses were largely improvised in a state of acute intoxication. Acting as wingman on the back, guest emcee Ricky Rozay makes sure everyone knows who’s “the one with the dough” is (Hint: it’s Ross). So, Booth readers, was this jam as good for you as it was for me? If you dug it for real, you can purchase the record on iTunes now—or, for those who prefer to wait for the full package, you’ll be able to cop J.D.‘s second album, Future History, on Sept. 27.
Written by richard on 09/5/11
Warner Bros. Records Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.