If I had to draft a list of corny 1980’s hits that I’m guaranteed to blast at high volume whenever they come on the radio… actually, that would be an extremely long list. Somewhere near the top, though, would be Toto’s classic Africa, a record so catchy that it’s a wonder it has yet to receive a modern makeover. Until now—on potential single Fight for You, Beluga Heights/Warner Bros. crooner Jason Derulo hooks up with a few savvy producers to turn the ‘82 single into club-pop gold. Over RedOne, BeatGeek and Geo Slam‘s beat, an amped-up pastiche of the source material’s most memorable moments, the Miami native assures a special girl that he’d battle his way through “a hundred men or more” to keep her by his side. With a crowd-pleasing theme and a time-tested hook, this cut seems like a shoo-in for heavy dancefloor and radio rotation. Or do I have it twisted? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, plan a trip to your local record store to pick up Jason Derulo’s sophomore set, Future History, available in stores and online as of September 16.
Written by richard on 10/20/11
Warner Bros. Records Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.