If I had to draft a list of corny 1980’s hits that I’m guaranteed to blast at high volume whenever they come on the radio… actually, that would be an extremely long list. Somewhere near the top, though, would be Toto’s classic Africa, a record so catchy that it’s a wonder it has yet to receive a modern makeover. Until now—on potential single Fight for You, Beluga Heights/Warner Bros. crooner Jason Derulo hooks up with a few savvy producers to turn the ‘82 single into club-pop gold. Over RedOne, BeatGeek and Geo Slam‘s beat, an amped-up pastiche of the source material’s most memorable moments, the Miami native assures a special girl that he’d battle his way through “a hundred men or more” to keep her by his side. With a crowd-pleasing theme and a time-tested hook, this cut seems like a shoo-in for heavy dancefloor and radio rotation. Or do I have it twisted? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, plan a trip to your local record store to pick up Jason Derulo’s sophomore set, Future History, available in stores and online as of September 16.
Written by richard on 10/20/11
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.