If I had to draft a list of corny 1980’s hits that I’m guaranteed to blast at high volume whenever they come on the radio… actually, that would be an extremely long list. Somewhere near the top, though, would be Toto’s classic Africa, a record so catchy that it’s a wonder it has yet to receive a modern makeover. Until now—on potential single Fight for You, Beluga Heights/Warner Bros. crooner Jason Derulo hooks up with a few savvy producers to turn the ‘82 single into club-pop gold. Over RedOne, BeatGeek and Geo Slam‘s beat, an amped-up pastiche of the source material’s most memorable moments, the Miami native assures a special girl that he’d battle his way through “a hundred men or more” to keep her by his side. With a crowd-pleasing theme and a time-tested hook, this cut seems like a shoo-in for heavy dancefloor and radio rotation. Or do I have it twisted? Debate away—and, if you haven’t already, plan a trip to your local record store to pick up Jason Derulo’s sophomore set, Future History, available in stores and online as of September 16.
Warner Bros. Records Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.