Those who, like me, narrowly missed experiencing the music of the ‘80s firsthand (I’m an ‘88 baby) are currently being treated to a thorough retread of the era’s hits. Whatever your feelings on urban music’s current passion for updating Reagan-decade classics, few artists could be more up to the task of polishing a dusty pop gem than Jason Caesar, who looks to the Cutting Crew’s (I Just) Died in Your Arms for inspiration on the second world premiere off his forthcoming mixtape. Taking You Home finds Fatboi interpolating the ‘86 single’s instantly-recognizable string riffs as Caesar invites a special lady to grab her passport and book it to the airport for the journey of her life (with a layover, of course, in the singer’s bedroom). Harlem vet Ma$e takes center stage on the record’s middle portion, cutting right to the chase in his sexed-up guest verse. Like what you’re hearing? You’ll be able to (figuratively) take home a copy of Jason Caesar’s Booth-sponsored The Musical street album on September 15, when it hits our mixtape page for free streaming and download. In the meantime, why not check out the recently-released trailer?
Written by richard on 09/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Relax (Your Mind)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.