I’ll confess, when I was assigned this song feature earlier this morning, I wasn’t very familiar with Jarren Benton. Sadly, I have a tendency to pass over emcees I haven’t heard before, a tendency that has obviously backfired on me when it comes to Benton. After just one listen to his new record White Cadillac, making its worldwide premiere on DJBooth, I immediately went back and listened to his previous features (including that dope DJBooth.net freestyle) in admiration. But back to the rock-infused, horn-heavy, Spittzwell-produced assault that is White Cadillac. Lyrically, Benton is once again on another planet, comparing his aforementioned Caddy to a “spaceship on chrome”, and doing so with a sharply flowing, autobiographical style that reminds me of some other ATLiens. I’m sure there are at least a couple other folks out there that have been similarly sleeping on Benton – if White Cadillac doesn’t wake you up, I don’t know what will. White Cadillac isn’t attached to an upcoming project at this time, but when and if one formulates, you know who you can trust to provide you with all the details.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 08/26/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)