I’ll confess, when I was assigned this song feature earlier this morning, I wasn’t very familiar with Jarren Benton. Sadly, I have a tendency to pass over emcees I haven’t heard before, a tendency that has obviously backfired on me when it comes to Benton. After just one listen to his new record White Cadillac, making its worldwide premiere on DJBooth, I immediately went back and listened to his previous features (including that dope DJBooth.net freestyle) in admiration. But back to the rock-infused, horn-heavy, Spittzwell-produced assault that is White Cadillac. Lyrically, Benton is once again on another planet, comparing his aforementioned Caddy to a “spaceship on chrome”, and doing so with a sharply flowing, autobiographical style that reminds me of some other ATLiens. I’m sure there are at least a couple other folks out there that have been similarly sleeping on Benton – if White Cadillac doesn’t wake you up, I don’t know what will. White Cadillac isn’t attached to an upcoming project at this time, but when and if one formulates, you know who you can trust to provide you with all the details.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 08/26/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.