I’ll confess, when I was assigned this song feature earlier this morning, I wasn’t very familiar with Jarren Benton. Sadly, I have a tendency to pass over emcees I haven’t heard before, a tendency that has obviously backfired on me when it comes to Benton. After just one listen to his new record White Cadillac, making its worldwide premiere on DJBooth, I immediately went back and listened to his previous features (including that dope DJBooth.net freestyle) in admiration. But back to the rock-infused, horn-heavy, Spittzwell-produced assault that is White Cadillac. Lyrically, Benton is once again on another planet, comparing his aforementioned Caddy to a “spaceship on chrome”, and doing so with a sharply flowing, autobiographical style that reminds me of some other ATLiens. I’m sure there are at least a couple other folks out there that have been similarly sleeping on Benton – if White Cadillac doesn’t wake you up, I don’t know what will. White Cadillac isn’t attached to an upcoming project at this time, but when and if one formulates, you know who you can trust to provide you with all the details.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 08/26/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.