While DJBooth staff and readers saw Jarren Benton‘s potential way back in January of 2009, when he dropped off debut feature Skate, there were those who doubted the ATLien buzzmaker back in the day. Damn, must they feel stupid now. On a fresh video single off his Funk Volume debut, the longtime reader fave takes a moment to revel in his successes and hit the haters with a hearty, “I told you so.” Joining Benton over constant collaborator Kato‘s trap-infused street boardwork, labelmate Dizzy Wright and Booth newcomer Pounds have a few words with their own detractors on the record’s latter two-thirds. George Orozco directs the joint’s hazy official visuals. Fans can find We On and many more bangers on Benton’s My Grandma’s Basement LP, out now in both physical and digital formats.
Written by richard on 06/24/13
After two appropriately insane mixtapes, Huffing Glue With Hasslehoff and Freebasing With Kevin Bacon, Atlanta native Jarren Benton has unleashed My Grandma's Basement, his first full length project with his new label home,...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.