It’s official, ladies and gentlemen: Jarren Benton is Losin’ It. That is, assuming he had “it” to begin with. Though the ATL buzzmaker, freestyle series alum and 2012 SXSW showcase participant has always had a screw loose, the latest single off beatsmith Kato‘s forthcoming full-length may be his most diabolical opus to date. The recent SMKA inductee keeps it characteristically gritty and street-ready-ready on the production tip, layering music-box arpeggios and string stabs over a bass-booming rhythm section. And Benton’s bars? If you can think back to 2009, when I marveled at the emcee’s channeling of early Slim Shady (complete with cartoonish sound effects) on Booth debut Skate, you can take what I said then and multiply it by three—Benton’s wildly inventive, polysyllabically-rhymed chronicle of antisocial behavior is enough to make even the biggest fan of current Em nostalgic for his hungrier years. To top it all off, he drops a tantalizing hint regarding what might follow his next mixtape (due out in May): “Freebasin With Kevin Bacon; next is Nicolas Cage.” For more hot beats and fresh guest features, check out SMKA Presents: A Kato Production when it hits the ‘net April 26.
Written by richard on 04/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.