It’s official, ladies and gentlemen: Jarren Benton is Losin’ It. That is, assuming he had “it” to begin with. Though the ATL buzzmaker, freestyle series alum and 2012 SXSW showcase participant has always had a screw loose, the latest single off beatsmith Kato‘s forthcoming full-length may be his most diabolical opus to date. The recent SMKA inductee keeps it characteristically gritty and street-ready-ready on the production tip, layering music-box arpeggios and string stabs over a bass-booming rhythm section. And Benton’s bars? If you can think back to 2009, when I marveled at the emcee’s channeling of early Slim Shady (complete with cartoonish sound effects) on Booth debut Skate, you can take what I said then and multiply it by three—Benton’s wildly inventive, polysyllabically-rhymed chronicle of antisocial behavior is enough to make even the biggest fan of current Em nostalgic for his hungrier years. To top it all off, he drops a tantalizing hint regarding what might follow his next mixtape (due out in May): “Freebasin With Kevin Bacon; next is Nicolas Cage.” For more hot beats and fresh guest features, check out SMKA Presents: A Kato Production when it hits the ‘net April 26.
Written by richard on 04/19/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.