Even in a rap game crowded with larger-than-life personalities, Jarren Benton‘s burning desire to be the center of attention sets him apart from the pack. Listeners hooked by the ATLien’s outrageous antics, however, will stay for his diabolically witty pen game. For a full display of the man’s mic skills (along with plenty of the aforementioned antics), look no further than Get a Load of Me, the latest leak off Benton and SMKA‘s forthcoming comp album. Backed by the 808 Experiment crew’s synth-string boardwork, the freestyle series alum delivers a litany of reasons he should probably be confined to a mental institution. After a seemingly impossible “Jarren’s here / manicure” couplet, the artist charges through two solid verses’ worth of belligerent trash-talk and cartoonish threats, liberally spiced with flat-out weirdness: “I just left the studio and I planted a bomb / Pass me the anal lube and hand me that gun.” Whatever you say, man. If you like what you’re hearing, more certifiably insane hip-hop goodness awaits on Huffing Glue With Hasselhoff, scheduled to hit iTunes for digital purchase Jan. 25.
Written by richard on 01/18/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.