If the song releases leading up to Jarren Benton‘s freshman full-length have taught us anything, it’s that the ATL emcee can be a scary motherf**ker. But he wasn’t born the ruthless individual he is today; he had to become such, based on the environment in which he came up. Life in the Jungle, the set’s final pre-release single, offers a glimpse at some of the experiences that shaped him, from the stresses of grinding poverty and unemployment to his inadvertent introduction to the dissociative effects of PCP. Though the subject matter is more intimate than previous singles, Benton doesn’t take that as an excuse to tone down his flow. If anything, his bars are more relentless than usual. Constant production partner Kato matches his intensity behind the boards, crafting a street instrumental that’s almost Cruel Summer-esque in its cinematic complexity. Feeling it? Then be sure to cop Jarren Benton’s Funk Volume debut, My Grandma’s Basement, when it hits The DJBooth for free streaming and digital purchase.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Jarren Benton’s Armen Soudjian-directed Life in the Jungle visual.
Written by richard on 07/24/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.