If the song releases leading up to Jarren Benton‘s freshman full-length have taught us anything, it’s that the ATL emcee can be a scary motherf**ker. But he wasn’t born the ruthless individual he is today; he had to become such, based on the environment in which he came up. Life in the Jungle, the set’s final pre-release single, offers a glimpse at some of the experiences that shaped him, from the stresses of grinding poverty and unemployment to his inadvertent introduction to the dissociative effects of PCP. Though the subject matter is more intimate than previous singles, Benton doesn’t take that as an excuse to tone down his flow. If anything, his bars are more relentless than usual. Constant production partner Kato matches his intensity behind the boards, crafting a street instrumental that’s almost Cruel Summer-esque in its cinematic complexity. Feeling it? Then be sure to cop Jarren Benton’s Funk Volume debut, My Grandma’s Basement, when it hits The DJBooth for free streaming and digital purchase.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Jarren Benton’s Armen Soudjian-directed Life in the Jungle visual.
Written by richard on 07/24/13
After two appropriately insane mixtapes, Huffing Glue With Hasslehoff and Freebasing With Kevin Bacon, Atlanta native Jarren Benton has unleashed My Grandma's Basement, his first full length project with his new label home,...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)