Do you know what brings rats, mice, and snakes up out their hole? If you’re an Outkast devotee, you know the answer like the back of your hand: “Chonky Fire, spliced with rock ‘n’ roll!” On this mixtape cut, making its world premiere right here in the Booth (along with Matchstik‘s Give Back and Bossasaurus’ remix of MURS’ Everything), the classic, Organized Noise-produced Aquemini closer receives an ‘09 revamp courtesy of reader favorite Jarren Benton and two fellow Georgia new-schoolers. After dedicating his rhymes to the pioneering duo, Benton lets listeners know just how passionate he is about hip-hop, and Decatur native Jaws of Life follows him up with a little messianic braggadocio. A-Town Love emcee Stanza brings some aggressive, Old Testament swagger on the back end, referencing both David and Goliath and Samson and Delilah in his closing lines. Whatever Chonky Fire is (can anyone help me out here?), these three have clearly got it, and this record is proof that Southern hip-hop is alive and kicking. For more of Benton’s scorching-hot rhymes, download a copy of That B*tch Ain’t Dead mixtape when it hits the ‘net sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 05/6/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.