Would you believe that a whole damn year has passed since last we featured ATL up-and-comer Jarren Benton? I just looked it up, and I’m not sure I even believe it. For proof that his creative Fire is still burning as brightly as it was back then, fans need simply listen to this inaugural mixtape leak, making its world premiere right here in the Booth. The legendary Erick Sermon mans the boards on this old-school-informed banger, cooking up a blazing-hot sampled instrumental complete with startling (but thematically-appropriate) siren sound effects. Benton brings a comparable level of intensity on the mic – when he’s not bombarding the track with flame-related puns, he’s dropping allusive, free-associative lines like, “I’m weird like Bee-york (Björk) / I don’t eat pee-ork / on some other sh*t like I’m Malachi Z. York.” So, Booth readers, is this track as hot as its title suggests? I think I know the answer, but I’ll let you have the final say. If you’re digging it, keep it locked for details on Benton’s as yet-untitled, forthcoming project, which will be A&Red, hosted and presented by DJBooth.net..
Written by richard on 05/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)