Would you believe that a whole damn year has passed since last we featured ATL up-and-comer Jarren Benton? I just looked it up, and I’m not sure I even believe it. For proof that his creative Fire is still burning as brightly as it was back then, fans need simply listen to this inaugural mixtape leak, making its world premiere right here in the Booth. The legendary Erick Sermon mans the boards on this old-school-informed banger, cooking up a blazing-hot sampled instrumental complete with startling (but thematically-appropriate) siren sound effects. Benton brings a comparable level of intensity on the mic – when he’s not bombarding the track with flame-related puns, he’s dropping allusive, free-associative lines like, “I’m weird like Bee-york (Björk) / I don’t eat pee-ork / on some other sh*t like I’m Malachi Z. York.” So, Booth readers, is this track as hot as its title suggests? I think I know the answer, but I’ll let you have the final say. If you’re digging it, keep it locked for details on Benton’s as yet-untitled, forthcoming project, which will be A&Red, hosted and presented by DJBooth.net..
Written by richard on 05/11/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)