Would you believe that a whole damn year has passed since last we featured ATL up-and-comer Jarren Benton? I just looked it up, and I’m not sure I even believe it. For proof that his creative Fire is still burning as brightly as it was back then, fans need simply listen to this inaugural mixtape leak, making its world premiere right here in the Booth. The legendary Erick Sermon mans the boards on this old-school-informed banger, cooking up a blazing-hot sampled instrumental complete with startling (but thematically-appropriate) siren sound effects. Benton brings a comparable level of intensity on the mic – when he’s not bombarding the track with flame-related puns, he’s dropping allusive, free-associative lines like, “I’m weird like Bee-york (Björk) / I don’t eat pee-ork / on some other sh*t like I’m Malachi Z. York.” So, Booth readers, is this track as hot as its title suggests? I think I know the answer, but I’ll let you have the final say. If you’re digging it, keep it locked for details on Benton’s as yet-untitled, forthcoming project, which will be A&Red, hosted and presented by DJBooth.net..
Written by richard on 05/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.