Over the last two years, Jarell Perry‘s shown Boothgoers the strength of his solo material. Now, the indie-R&B buzzmaker tries his hand at a cover of an existing joint. “Guess whose it is. Guess whose it is. Guess whose it is.” It’s Drake‘s! This freshly-released rendition of Own It, track number five off last year’s Nothing Was the Same LP, simultaneously heightens the original cut’s R&B vibe and deepens its indebtedness to current trends in hip-hop. To back Perry’s tender, falsetto-laced reinterpretation of Aubrey Graham’s wistful verses and chorus, constant collaborator HSVN cooks up a synth beat fueled by clattering trap hi-hats. Together, have they managed to do justice to the original? I think I know the answer but, as always, y’all get to lay down the final verdict. This cover is unattached to a larger project, but fans can hear more from Perry on his White LP, out on iTunes as of March 4.
Written by richard on 03/20/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.