Over the last two years, Jarell Perry‘s shown Boothgoers the strength of his solo material. Now, the indie-R&B buzzmaker tries his hand at a cover of an existing joint. “Guess whose it is. Guess whose it is. Guess whose it is.” It’s Drake‘s! This freshly-released rendition of Own It, track number five off last year’s Nothing Was the Same LP, simultaneously heightens the original cut’s R&B vibe and deepens its indebtedness to current trends in hip-hop. To back Perry’s tender, falsetto-laced reinterpretation of Aubrey Graham’s wistful verses and chorus, constant collaborator HSVN cooks up a synth beat fueled by clattering trap hi-hats. Together, have they managed to do justice to the original? I think I know the answer but, as always, y’all get to lay down the final verdict. This cover is unattached to a larger project, but fans can hear more from Perry on his White LP, out on iTunes as of March 4.
Written by richard on 03/20/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.