Over the last two years, Jarell Perry‘s shown Boothgoers the strength of his solo material. Now, the indie-R&B buzzmaker tries his hand at a cover of an existing joint. “Guess whose it is. Guess whose it is. Guess whose it is.” It’s Drake‘s! This freshly-released rendition of Own It, track number five off last year’s Nothing Was the Same LP, simultaneously heightens the original cut’s R&B vibe and deepens its indebtedness to current trends in hip-hop. To back Perry’s tender, falsetto-laced reinterpretation of Aubrey Graham’s wistful verses and chorus, constant collaborator HSVN cooks up a synth beat fueled by clattering trap hi-hats. Together, have they managed to do justice to the original? I think I know the answer but, as always, y’all get to lay down the final verdict. This cover is unattached to a larger project, but fans can hear more from Perry on his White LP, out on iTunes as of March 4.
Written by richard on 03/20/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.