If you’re a fan of Coldplay (especially their older material) then Jared Evan‘s brand new cover of their breakout hit Yellow might just make your day. The tricky thing about song covers is the approach. Do you stay as close to the original as possible with enough minor changes and embellishments that you just barely avoid a copyright infringement lawsuit, or do you start from scratch and reinterpret the whole thing entirely? Evan took the former approach, and luckily for him (and us) it was well executed and works out in his favor. While the Interscope signee didn’t rework the song vocally and the composition has only a few minor tweaks, he still makes the song his own. It’s almost as if you’re listening to Coldplay, but with Jared Evan singing instead of Chris Martin. With a song like Yellow this is a good thing – it’s definitely one of those records that you’d prefer be left alone by mere “cover artists” lest they should ruin such a thing of perfection. Evan’s dutiful rendition of Yellow is the latest installment in his unCOVERED musical web series in partnership with filmmaker Rik Cordero. Check out the web series on YouTube and check back at The DJBooth for more from the Freestyle Series alum very soon.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 10/25/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.