Most recording artists, when they reach the crossroads between hip-hop, pop and rock ‘n’ roll, are forced to commit to a single road. Jared Evan, however, went for option D: “All of the above.” Though the Interscope/Zone 4 signee’s succeeded in carving out a unique artistic niche, his decision has earned him his share of struggle and pain. On new EP single Traffic Light, the freestyle series alum fills us in on the complexities of being a Renaissance man in a game that likes its artists safe, focus-grouped and easily-categorizable. With East Coast beatsmith extraordinaire !llmind‘s ringing piano chords, dusty breakbeat and submerged vocal samples as his canvas, Evan details the formative experiences that made him the musician he is today (“When I was a kid, my daddy played guitar / He showed me Led Zep, the Beatles and The Doors.”), and vents his frustration with industry pigeonholing, pleading, “Leave me alone and let me sing what I want.” Jared Evan’s The Fourth Chapter EP is set to drop in the first quarter of this year. In the meantime, why not check out one (or both) of his Booth-sponsored 2011 projects, unCOVERED and Back and Fourth?
Written by richard on 01/3/12
Multi-talented recording artist Jared Evan has come together with The DJBooth and Karmaloop to bring listeners his "debut EP album," The Fourth Chapter. In the works since late 2009, the long-awaited set comprises eight...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.