Most recording artists, when they reach the crossroads between hip-hop, pop and rock ‘n’ roll, are forced to commit to a single road. Jared Evan, however, went for option D: “All of the above.” Though the Interscope/Zone 4 signee’s succeeded in carving out a unique artistic niche, his decision has earned him his share of struggle and pain. On new EP single Traffic Light, the freestyle series alum fills us in on the complexities of being a Renaissance man in a game that likes its artists safe, focus-grouped and easily-categorizable. With East Coast beatsmith extraordinaire !llmind‘s ringing piano chords, dusty breakbeat and submerged vocal samples as his canvas, Evan details the formative experiences that made him the musician he is today (“When I was a kid, my daddy played guitar / He showed me Led Zep, the Beatles and The Doors.”), and vents his frustration with industry pigeonholing, pleading, “Leave me alone and let me sing what I want.” Jared Evan’s The Fourth Chapter EP is set to drop in the first quarter of this year. In the meantime, why not check out one (or both) of his Booth-sponsored 2011 projects, unCOVERED and Back and Fourth?
Written by richard on 01/3/12
Multi-talented recording artist Jared Evan has come together with The DJBooth and Karmaloop to bring listeners his "debut EP album," The Fourth Chapter. In the works since late 2009, the long-awaited set comprises eight...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)