As his fans in the Booth already know, Jared Evan is just as skilled at reimagining other artists’ songs as he is at penning original material. (If you weren’t aware, drop whatever you’re doing and take a listen to 2011’s unCOVERED LP, which found him covering cuts by everyone from The Beatles to the Wu-Tang Clan.) Today, the NYC rapper, producer, songwriter and singer proves that yet again by putting his own spin on Team, single number two off Lorde‘s blockbuster debut EP. Whereas the New Zealand pop songstress’s original was on the minimal side, Evan’s self-produced rendition feels more lush and fleshed-out. Though his vocals are ear-pleasing as always, his most inspired addition to the record is the saxophone riff that punctuates the chorus. The original version of Team was never featured in the Booth, but fans can check out the Five Knives remix, premiered on our pages in November. Jared Evan is preparing to head out on tour with Philly hip-hop duo Moosh & Twist. Click here to learn when they’ll be visiting a city near you.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)