As his fans in the Booth already know, Jared Evan is just as skilled at reimagining other artists’ songs as he is at penning original material. (If you weren’t aware, drop whatever you’re doing and take a listen to 2011’s unCOVERED LP, which found him covering cuts by everyone from The Beatles to the Wu-Tang Clan.) Today, the NYC rapper, producer, songwriter and singer proves that yet again by putting his own spin on Team, single number two off Lorde‘s blockbuster debut EP. Whereas the New Zealand pop songstress’s original was on the minimal side, Evan’s self-produced rendition feels more lush and fleshed-out. Though his vocals are ear-pleasing as always, his most inspired addition to the record is the saxophone riff that punctuates the chorus. The original version of Team was never featured in the Booth, but fans can check out the Five Knives remix, premiered on our pages in November. Jared Evan is preparing to head out on tour with Philly hip-hop duo Moosh & Twist. Click here to learn when they’ll be visiting a city near you.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)