As his fans in the Booth already know, Jared Evan is just as skilled at reimagining other artists’ songs as he is at penning original material. (If you weren’t aware, drop whatever you’re doing and take a listen to 2011’s unCOVERED LP, which found him covering cuts by everyone from The Beatles to the Wu-Tang Clan.) Today, the NYC rapper, producer, songwriter and singer proves that yet again by putting his own spin on Team, single number two off Lorde‘s blockbuster debut EP. Whereas the New Zealand pop songstress’s original was on the minimal side, Evan’s self-produced rendition feels more lush and fleshed-out. Though his vocals are ear-pleasing as always, his most inspired addition to the record is the saxophone riff that punctuates the chorus. The original version of Team was never featured in the Booth, but fans can check out the Five Knives remix, premiered on our pages in November. Jared Evan is preparing to head out on tour with Philly hip-hop duo Moosh & Twist. Click here to learn when they’ll be visiting a city near you.
Written by richard on 04/2/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.