Jared Evan‘s latest feature was left off the tracklist of his recently-released Radio in My Head mixtape, but it’s hard to see why; unreleased cut Reign boasts the same blend of mainstream appeal and left-of-center experimentation that made the up-and-comer’s Booth debut, What I Want, a smash hit among our readers. Backed by DV Milla‘s midtempo arpeggiated-synth instrumental (accented with appropriately stormy sound effects), Evans reflects on his musical aspirations, delivering thoughtful verses laced with out-the-box imagery (I think Jared Evan may be the first person in the history of the world to utter the sentence “The world is a potato.”) and topping the track off with a bittersweet sung hook. In short, it’s perfect cut to rock in your headphones as you gaze out the window on a rainy day (and believe me, Minne-ap’s had plenty of those in recent weeks). Though Reign isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, fans can hear Evan’s track Frozen on the soundtrack to LeBron documentary More Than a Game, out now.
Written by richard on 11/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.