Jared Evan‘s latest feature was left off the tracklist of his recently-released Radio in My Head mixtape, but it’s hard to see why; unreleased cut Reign boasts the same blend of mainstream appeal and left-of-center experimentation that made the up-and-comer’s Booth debut, What I Want, a smash hit among our readers. Backed by DV Milla‘s midtempo arpeggiated-synth instrumental (accented with appropriately stormy sound effects), Evans reflects on his musical aspirations, delivering thoughtful verses laced with out-the-box imagery (I think Jared Evan may be the first person in the history of the world to utter the sentence “The world is a potato.”) and topping the track off with a bittersweet sung hook. In short, it’s perfect cut to rock in your headphones as you gaze out the window on a rainy day (and believe me, Minne-ap’s had plenty of those in recent weeks). Though Reign isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, fans can hear Evan’s track Frozen on the soundtrack to LeBron documentary More Than a Game, out now.
Written by richard on 11/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.