Jared Evan‘s latest feature was left off the tracklist of his recently-released Radio in My Head mixtape, but it’s hard to see why; unreleased cut Reign boasts the same blend of mainstream appeal and left-of-center experimentation that made the up-and-comer’s Booth debut, What I Want, a smash hit among our readers. Backed by DV Milla‘s midtempo arpeggiated-synth instrumental (accented with appropriately stormy sound effects), Evans reflects on his musical aspirations, delivering thoughtful verses laced with out-the-box imagery (I think Jared Evan may be the first person in the history of the world to utter the sentence “The world is a potato.”) and topping the track off with a bittersweet sung hook. In short, it’s perfect cut to rock in your headphones as you gaze out the window on a rainy day (and believe me, Minne-ap’s had plenty of those in recent weeks). Though Reign isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, fans can hear Evan’s track Frozen on the soundtrack to LeBron documentary More Than a Game, out now.
Written by richard on 11/25/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)