Still haven’t jumped on the Jared Evans bandwagon? If you haven’t seen – or heard, as the case may be – The Light by now, you may be beyond saving. Regardless, the latest single off Evan’s Booth-sponsored street album is as fresh a showcase of the Brooklyn native’s versatility as anything we’ve featured to date. As usual, the freestyle series alumnus straddles genre lines; beatsmith ill Factor‘s instrumental shapeshifts from a minimal club-pop groove (decorated with some Kanye-beloved vocal snippets from Mountain’s Long Red break) into an exhilarating pop-rock chorus. Evan rolls with the punches in characteristically fresh style, lacing the verses with sultry game-spitting and switching to a full-throated delivery on the anthemic hook, which finds him proudly proclaiming his musical chameleon-hood: “Hip-hop saved my life, rock ‘n’ roll’s my wife, so show me the light..” Have the scales finally fallen from your eyes? If so – or if you’ve been a Jared Evan devotee from the get-go – you owe it to yourself to check out his Back & Fourth street album. In addition, keep it locked for this cut’s official video, debuting sometime in the coming weeks.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.