Still haven’t jumped on the Jared Evans bandwagon? If you haven’t seen – or heard, as the case may be – The Light by now, you may be beyond saving. Regardless, the latest single off Evan’s Booth-sponsored street album is as fresh a showcase of the Brooklyn native’s versatility as anything we’ve featured to date. As usual, the freestyle series alumnus straddles genre lines; beatsmith ill Factor‘s instrumental shapeshifts from a minimal club-pop groove (decorated with some Kanye-beloved vocal snippets from Mountain’s Long Red break) into an exhilarating pop-rock chorus. Evan rolls with the punches in characteristically fresh style, lacing the verses with sultry game-spitting and switching to a full-throated delivery on the anthemic hook, which finds him proudly proclaiming his musical chameleon-hood: “Hip-hop saved my life, rock ‘n’ roll’s my wife, so show me the light..” Have the scales finally fallen from your eyes? If so – or if you’ve been a Jared Evan devotee from the get-go – you owe it to yourself to check out his Back & Fourth street album. In addition, keep it locked for this cut’s official video, debuting sometime in the coming weeks.
Written by richard on 05/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.