It would be an audacious artist who covered Dylan’s All Along the Watchtower today; no matter how dope an effort you turned in, there would be those for whom Hendrix’ rendition was the last word. Similarly, it takes an impressive set of musical cojones to tackle Nine Inch Nails’ Hurt after Johnny Cash’s famously soul-crushing take on the same—but that is exactly what Jared Evan does on the latest leak off his forthcoming covers project. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Evan’s cover finds the reader fave and freestyle alum sticking relatively close to the original arrangement, crafting a more soothing synth-string rendition of Reznor’s haunting guitar/piano backdrop. Evan’s biggest departures come in the percussion department—he busts out a syncopated breakbeat at points—and, of course the vocal realm; Evan’s comparatively smooth, studio-tweaked vocals imbue his version with a touch of soul. It all adds up to a reverent, understated and emotionally-effective performance that, though not as devastating as J.C.‘s, most definitely does justice to the source material. If you approve, check out the new, Rik Cordero-directed video accompaniment, as well as keeping it locked for further unCOVERED leaks.
Written by richard on 09/26/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)