It would be an audacious artist who covered Dylan’s All Along the Watchtower today; no matter how dope an effort you turned in, there would be those for whom Hendrix’ rendition was the last word. Similarly, it takes an impressive set of musical cojones to tackle Nine Inch Nails’ Hurt after Johnny Cash’s famously soul-crushing take on the same—but that is exactly what Jared Evan does on the latest leak off his forthcoming covers project. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, Evan’s cover finds the reader fave and freestyle alum sticking relatively close to the original arrangement, crafting a more soothing synth-string rendition of Reznor’s haunting guitar/piano backdrop. Evan’s biggest departures come in the percussion department—he busts out a syncopated breakbeat at points—and, of course the vocal realm; Evan’s comparatively smooth, studio-tweaked vocals imbue his version with a touch of soul. It all adds up to a reverent, understated and emotionally-effective performance that, though not as devastating as J.C.‘s, most definitely does justice to the source material. If you approve, check out the new, Rik Cordero-directed video accompaniment, as well as keeping it locked for further unCOVERED leaks.
Written by richard on 09/26/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)