When you’ve got the talent, versatility and artistic vision of Jared Evan, you can make it Anywhere—in a fair world, anyway. In reality, of course, who you know is just as important as what you can do. Being considered for promotion as a single following its unintended leak on Friday, Evan’s latest finds the Zone 4/Interscope recording artist showcasing his prodigious abilities and his hella-fide connects. None other than the Neptunes handle production duties, crafting a driving pop-rock groove to back the headliner’s cryptic reflections on either the music game, a romantic relationship, or both. (On a side note, anyone else hear a little Wonderwall in the verse melody?). West Coast heavyweight Game guests, lacing the final verse with his trademark mix of hard-nosed braggadocio and rap-game metacommentary (“I know it’s n*ggas in Brooklyn that hate me and love Jay, so I chuck my deuces up, apologize the thug way…”) and Sk8board P (aka Pharrell) rounds out the lineup, stepping out from behind the boards to provide vocal support. Fans can find a snippet of this joint and much more on Back & Fourth, released in March and available here for streaming and download.
Written by richard on 12/11/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.