You know how some people get freaked out when different foods on their plate touch? I have the opposite philosophy: if two things taste good side by side, they’re bound to taste even better heaped in a pile. (Yeah, I don’t get invited to many fancy dinner parties.) Freestyle alum Jared Evan knows what I’m talking about; though mixtape cut Falling Down is drastically different in mood than his last offering, the garage-rock-infused In Love With You, it finds him once again mixing disparate influences into a tasty musical casserole. Booth fave !llmind mans the boards, cooking up a Radiohead-esque blend of guitar arpeggios and moody synths as Evan undergoes a little mic therapy. Switching between sung vocals and (on the bridge) hard-hitting flows, he paints a vivid portrait of one of those days when nothing seems to be going quite right. While dark, this rap/grunge/pop/alt-rock concoction packs a cathartic punch that’ll leave fans of emotional, genre-blending jams hungry for more. If that sounds like you, be sure to grab a copy of Back and Fourth, the mixtape prelude to Evan’s full-length debut, when it hits the net in early 2011.
Written by richard on 11/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.