You know how some people get freaked out when different foods on their plate touch? I have the opposite philosophy: if two things taste good side by side, they’re bound to taste even better heaped in a pile. (Yeah, I don’t get invited to many fancy dinner parties.) Freestyle alum Jared Evan knows what I’m talking about; though mixtape cut Falling Down is drastically different in mood than his last offering, the garage-rock-infused In Love With You, it finds him once again mixing disparate influences into a tasty musical casserole. Booth fave !llmind mans the boards, cooking up a Radiohead-esque blend of guitar arpeggios and moody synths as Evan undergoes a little mic therapy. Switching between sung vocals and (on the bridge) hard-hitting flows, he paints a vivid portrait of one of those days when nothing seems to be going quite right. While dark, this rap/grunge/pop/alt-rock concoction packs a cathartic punch that’ll leave fans of emotional, genre-blending jams hungry for more. If that sounds like you, be sure to grab a copy of Back and Fourth, the mixtape prelude to Evan’s full-length debut, when it hits the net in early 2011.
Written by richard on 11/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.