You know how some people get freaked out when different foods on their plate touch? I have the opposite philosophy: if two things taste good side by side, they’re bound to taste even better heaped in a pile. (Yeah, I don’t get invited to many fancy dinner parties.) Freestyle alum Jared Evan knows what I’m talking about; though mixtape cut Falling Down is drastically different in mood than his last offering, the garage-rock-infused In Love With You, it finds him once again mixing disparate influences into a tasty musical casserole. Booth fave !llmind mans the boards, cooking up a Radiohead-esque blend of guitar arpeggios and moody synths as Evan undergoes a little mic therapy. Switching between sung vocals and (on the bridge) hard-hitting flows, he paints a vivid portrait of one of those days when nothing seems to be going quite right. While dark, this rap/grunge/pop/alt-rock concoction packs a cathartic punch that’ll leave fans of emotional, genre-blending jams hungry for more. If that sounds like you, be sure to grab a copy of Back and Fourth, the mixtape prelude to Evan’s full-length debut, when it hits the net in early 2011.
Written by richard on 11/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.