You know how some people get freaked out when different foods on their plate touch? I have the opposite philosophy: if two things taste good side by side, they’re bound to taste even better heaped in a pile. (Yeah, I don’t get invited to many fancy dinner parties.) Freestyle alum Jared Evan knows what I’m talking about; though mixtape cut Falling Down is drastically different in mood than his last offering, the garage-rock-infused In Love With You, it finds him once again mixing disparate influences into a tasty musical casserole. Booth fave !llmind mans the boards, cooking up a Radiohead-esque blend of guitar arpeggios and moody synths as Evan undergoes a little mic therapy. Switching between sung vocals and (on the bridge) hard-hitting flows, he paints a vivid portrait of one of those days when nothing seems to be going quite right. While dark, this rap/grunge/pop/alt-rock concoction packs a cathartic punch that’ll leave fans of emotional, genre-blending jams hungry for more. If that sounds like you, be sure to grab a copy of Back and Fourth, the mixtape prelude to Evan’s full-length debut, when it hits the net in early 2011.
Written by richard on 11/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.