As pretty much the biggest rock group ever to walk this earth, The Beatles never really go out of style; nonetheless, it seems that the rock giants have been enjoying a surge of popularity in the hip-hip/urban-pop world lately. (Hell, Laws even managed to get today’s underground heads nodding along to Sir Paul McCartney’s solo work on his most recent mixtape.) Never one to pass up a prime crossover opportunity, Interscope recording artist and Booth fave Jared Evan throws his hat into the Fab Four-homage ring with his latest mixtape leak, a fresh rendition of the Beatles’ oft-sampled 1966 classic, Eleanor Rigby. While the freestyle alum‘s fidelity on the original’s tone and format makes this more of a straight-up cover than a remix or reimagining, his creativity truly shines on the production tip—jettisoning the iconic strings in favor of pensive piano loops, four-on-the-floor percussion and synth flourishes, Evan transforms the somber cut into something that could get an open-minded club crowd jumping. This joint isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but if you’re craving more genre-bending freshness, may I recommend Evan’s Booth-sponsored Back & Fourth mixtape?
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.