As pretty much the biggest rock group ever to walk this earth, The Beatles never really go out of style; nonetheless, it seems that the rock giants have been enjoying a surge of popularity in the hip-hip/urban-pop world lately. (Hell, Laws even managed to get today’s underground heads nodding along to Sir Paul McCartney’s solo work on his most recent mixtape.) Never one to pass up a prime crossover opportunity, Interscope recording artist and Booth fave Jared Evan throws his hat into the Fab Four-homage ring with his latest mixtape leak, a fresh rendition of the Beatles’ oft-sampled 1966 classic, Eleanor Rigby. While the freestyle alum‘s fidelity on the original’s tone and format makes this more of a straight-up cover than a remix or reimagining, his creativity truly shines on the production tip—jettisoning the iconic strings in favor of pensive piano loops, four-on-the-floor percussion and synth flourishes, Evan transforms the somber cut into something that could get an open-minded club crowd jumping. This joint isn’t set for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but if you’re craving more genre-bending freshness, may I recommend Evan’s Booth-sponsored Back & Fourth mixtape?
Written by richard on 06/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.