It’s a story as old as the music game itself: an enterprising up-and-comer breaks his (or her) back working his way up from the very bottom, and when he finally makes it, the people around him reveal their two-faced nature. On his latest Booth feature, What I Want singer/emcee Jared Evan laments that, now that he’s signed to a major deal with Interscope, They Don’t Look at Me the Same. Breaking Away, a downbeat, synth-driven instrumental track by electronic duo Ratatat (CuDi‘s collaborators on Pursuit of Happiness) pulses in the background as Evan sets the story straight: “This is not a plan… so if you think that I’ve changed, then I’ve only stayed the same.” While those committed to hater-ism are unlikely to change their tune after hearing what J.E. has to say, listeners in the Booth will doubtless praise this reflective cut as highly as they did his previous features. Fans can find TDLaMtS on a forthcoming, expanded edition of the artist’s Radio in My Head mixtape, due out this March. In addition, stay tuned for Jared Evan’s contribution to our exclusive freestyle series, set to hit our front page soon!
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.