Given the state of the Booth fave’s love life, as described in recent femme fatale anthems Bad News and The Devil Wears Prada, it would be tough to blame Jared Evan for being a little down in the dumps. Contrary to what this cut’s title may suggest, though, he doesn’t seem to be feeling Blue at all. Instead, the latest single off his collaborative debut with Statik Selektah finds him reflecting on the eclectic mixture of influences that make up his artistic DNA—from rock, to hip-hop, to funk, to (of course) the blues. Statik crafts an appropriately out-the-box backdrop for Evan’s sung and rapped ruminations, pairing boom-bap percussion with a soulfully addictive piano loop. CK directs the record’s stylized visuals. Fans can find Blue and many more genre-defying bangers on the duo’s Boom Bap & Blues LP, available now for free streaming and purchase in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 06/10/13
What’s in a name? That which we call a genre, by any other name would sound as dope. True, labels do have their place. Generally speaking it’s good to know if I’m listening to ATL trap or Mongolian folk music before I...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.