Given the state of the Booth fave’s love life, as described in recent femme fatale anthems Bad News and The Devil Wears Prada, it would be tough to blame Jared Evan for being a little down in the dumps. Contrary to what this cut’s title may suggest, though, he doesn’t seem to be feeling Blue at all. Instead, the latest single off his collaborative debut with Statik Selektah finds him reflecting on the eclectic mixture of influences that make up his artistic DNA—from rock, to hip-hop, to funk, to (of course) the blues. Statik crafts an appropriately out-the-box backdrop for Evan’s sung and rapped ruminations, pairing boom-bap percussion with a soulfully addictive piano loop. CK directs the record’s stylized visuals. Fans can find Blue and many more genre-defying bangers on the duo’s Boom Bap & Blues LP, available now for free streaming and purchase in The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 06/10/13
What’s in a name? That which we call a genre, by any other name would sound as dope. True, labels do have their place. Generally speaking it’s good to know if I’m listening to ATL trap or Mongolian folk music before I...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What I Want" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)