If you’re anything like me, you won’t be able to read the title of Janelle Monáe‘s latest feature without getting Haddaway’s 1992 hit (of A Night at the Roxbury Fame) stuck in your head. Don’t worry, though—the song itself is catchy enough to serve as the antidote to that insidious earworm. Recorded for inclusion on the soundtrack to animated film Rio 2, this cut finds Monáe plaintively addressing a romantic interest who’s painfully far away: “What is Love if it’s not with you?” The uncredited producer draws inspiration from the movie’s Brazilian setting, incorporating South American rhythms and instrumentation (including my personal favorite, the cuica) into his vibrant beat. Will this record transcend its soundtrack-inclusion status to become a major hit à la Happy? Debate away! Rio II‘s musical companion piece is set to hit record stores and online retailers Tuesday, March 25, via Atlantic.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.