Please know that I don’t say this lightly, but Janelle Monae might be the most original voice in hip-hop/r&b/pop/whatever genre you place her in. If you’ve never heard the small but explosively creative Monae before, you don’t have to look further than her new track Come Alive (The War of the Roses) for a taste of her musical abilities. Part doo-wop, part punk, part Violent Femmes-esque rock opera, Come Alive is unlike anything you’ve ever heard before, an explosion of sound with Monae’s always strong vocals leading the charge. Or as Janelle herself says on the track, when she comes alive she’s like a “schizo running wild.” Frankly, I’d have to agree. War of the Roses is the first release off Kia Motor’s new Soul Collective series, while Monae’s Metropolis Suites II & III are tentatively scheduled to drop sometime this year. Stay tuned to DJBooth.net for all the latest from both projects.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/6/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.