Please know that I don’t say this lightly, but Janelle Monae might be the most original voice in hip-hop/r&b/pop/whatever genre you place her in. If you’ve never heard the small but explosively creative Monae before, you don’t have to look further than her new track Come Alive (The War of the Roses) for a taste of her musical abilities. Part doo-wop, part punk, part Violent Femmes-esque rock opera, Come Alive is unlike anything you’ve ever heard before, an explosion of sound with Monae’s always strong vocals leading the charge. Or as Janelle herself says on the track, when she comes alive she’s like a “schizo running wild.” Frankly, I’d have to agree. War of the Roses is the first release off Kia Motor’s new Soul Collective series, while Monae’s Metropolis Suites II & III are tentatively scheduled to drop sometime this year. Stay tuned to DJBooth.net for all the latest from both projects.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/6/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.