Please know that I don’t say this lightly, but Janelle Monae might be the most original voice in hip-hop/r&b/pop/whatever genre you place her in. If you’ve never heard the small but explosively creative Monae before, you don’t have to look further than her new track Come Alive (The War of the Roses) for a taste of her musical abilities. Part doo-wop, part punk, part Violent Femmes-esque rock opera, Come Alive is unlike anything you’ve ever heard before, an explosion of sound with Monae’s always strong vocals leading the charge. Or as Janelle herself says on the track, when she comes alive she’s like a “schizo running wild.” Frankly, I’d have to agree. War of the Roses is the first release off Kia Motor’s new Soul Collective series, while Monae’s Metropolis Suites II & III are tentatively scheduled to drop sometime this year. Stay tuned to DJBooth.net for all the latest from both projects.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.