Janelle Monae is, at most, 5 feet tall (5‘4 if you count the hair), one of the most energetic live performers you’ll ever see, sounds like absolutely no one else on the planet, and has a new single, Tight Rope, featuring her Outkast mentor Big Boi. Those are the facts. Things, however, get more subjective when we dig further into Tight Rope. While some will find the track’s super retro, ukulele meets turntable sounds – courtesy of Monae, Nate “Rocket” Wonder and Chuck Lightning – nothing short of incredible others will undoubtedly find it too left field, and while some might love Monae’s heavily stylized vocals and Big Boi’s abstract flow, others won’t be able to connect. So, which side of the tracks are you on? Regardless of your opinion, Monae’s new album The ArchAndroid is due out on May 18, and if Tight Rope is any indication we’re looking at an early frontrunner for most creative album of the year.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/11/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.