Janelle Monae is, at most, 5 feet tall (5‘4 if you count the hair), one of the most energetic live performers you’ll ever see, sounds like absolutely no one else on the planet, and has a new single, Tight Rope, featuring her Outkast mentor Big Boi. Those are the facts. Things, however, get more subjective when we dig further into Tight Rope. While some will find the track’s super retro, ukulele meets turntable sounds – courtesy of Monae, Nate “Rocket” Wonder and Chuck Lightning – nothing short of incredible others will undoubtedly find it too left field, and while some might love Monae’s heavily stylized vocals and Big Boi’s abstract flow, others won’t be able to connect. So, which side of the tracks are you on? Regardless of your opinion, Monae’s new album The ArchAndroid is due out on May 18, and if Tight Rope is any indication we’re looking at an early frontrunner for most creative album of the year.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!