Janelle Monae is, at most, 5 feet tall (5‘4 if you count the hair), one of the most energetic live performers you’ll ever see, sounds like absolutely no one else on the planet, and has a new single, Tight Rope, featuring her Outkast mentor Big Boi. Those are the facts. Things, however, get more subjective when we dig further into Tight Rope. While some will find the track’s super retro, ukulele meets turntable sounds – courtesy of Monae, Nate “Rocket” Wonder and Chuck Lightning – nothing short of incredible others will undoubtedly find it too left field, and while some might love Monae’s heavily stylized vocals and Big Boi’s abstract flow, others won’t be able to connect. So, which side of the tracks are you on? Regardless of your opinion, Monae’s new album The ArchAndroid is due out on May 18, and if Tight Rope is any indication we’re looking at an early frontrunner for most creative album of the year.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.