Janelle Monae is, at most, 5 feet tall (5‘4 if you count the hair), one of the most energetic live performers you’ll ever see, sounds like absolutely no one else on the planet, and has a new single, Tight Rope, featuring her Outkast mentor Big Boi. Those are the facts. Things, however, get more subjective when we dig further into Tight Rope. While some will find the track’s super retro, ukulele meets turntable sounds – courtesy of Monae, Nate “Rocket” Wonder and Chuck Lightning – nothing short of incredible others will undoubtedly find it too left field, and while some might love Monae’s heavily stylized vocals and Big Boi’s abstract flow, others won’t be able to connect. So, which side of the tracks are you on? Regardless of your opinion, Monae’s new album The ArchAndroid is due out on May 18, and if Tight Rope is any indication we’re looking at an early frontrunner for most creative album of the year.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/11/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.