Ever since Bad Boy’s Janelle Monáe broke out on the scene with her electric stylings in 2010, music lovers across the world have been enamored with the energy she brings to the table. So, naturally, hooking up with the subtle yet soulful Miguel would create the perfect ying to Monáe yang. Keyword being “perfect.” This balance is achieved on her latest single, PrimeTime. The production, courtesy of album collaborators Chuck Lightening, Nate Wonder and Roman Gianarth, sounds as if it were inspired by the early-90s R&B classics, allowing the vocalists to do what they do best; produce a simultaneously relaxing and exciting duet. If Monáe has more in store for us like this before the September 10, release of Electric Lady, you’ll be able to count it as one of the year’s most highly-anticipated and well-received.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Janelle Monáe’s Alan Ferguson-directed PrimeTime visual.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Sincerely Jane" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.